Do you believe young people should have a voice?
Do you believe in Human Rights and social mobility?
Do you want to develop your leadership skills?
Become a IDEA Fellow and change the world!
Join the growing community of mentors and debate educators empowering young people at debate clubs across the UK.
Our World Debate Clubs develop FE College students empathy, tolerance and understanding but for them to run week in week out we need a hour of your time every Wednesday! This workshop will introduce you to the IDEA fellowship as well as to debate. Our IDEA Fellows come from all walks of life, and work at organisations such as Deutsche Bank, Shell and Whitehall. Whether you have strong background and experience in debating or not, we are here to help you build the necessary skills to become an inspiring debate coach to students.
As a Debate Coach you can expect to take a leading role in mentoring your own group of young people studying at a local Further Education College Debate Club. You will develop your own team leadership, public speaking and negotiation skills through the IDEA Fellowship training and coaching for corporate volunteers in Debate skills.
You will prepare them for our end of term debates at City Hall and in the Houses of Parliament and take pride in seeing their skillset and knowledge of the world grow whilst acquiring the leadership skills required to develop your own career.
We are looking for volunteer Debate Coaches to lead the development of our Debate Clubs for an hour a week, on a Wednesday afternoon and develop motions to debate, providing tips and guidance on techniques to improve their public speaking and inspire young people to speak out on issues they care about.
Come along to this session if:
- You want to make a difference
- You are passionate about education or social change
- You want to learn about debate and how to put across your views better
- You want to learn to speak in public
- You want to be a part of an supportive volunteer experience
For the first time we will be running two streams at the same time
18:00-18:30 Registration & Networking
18:30-19:00 Introduction for New IDEA Fellows by Bien King
- Why we run World Debate Club in schools and colleges, learn more about iDebate and meet other fellows who share the same interests and passion for community-building, human rights, critical thinking skills and social impact.
19:00-19:30 Speaker Spotlight
- A fellow will take the lead on introducing new idea and technique on how to improve pubilc speaking skills and share experiences on overcoming challenges in facilitationg debate workshops for young people.
The Meeting Room
18:30-19:30 Advanced Debate Educators Workshop for Fellows by Duncan Crowe
- Develop your skills to lead your own World Debate Club, learn to influence and negotitate whilst developing your own debating skills led by world class debater Duncan Crowe.
- Both groups together in a practice debate
20:15-20:30 Networking & Goodbye